Friday 9 May 2008

8. Inspiration

Ideals
With respect to Hooi's post on music.
What a serendipity... he posted on music then I got inspired to write something only to find out that Ye-Wheen wants to write about it too.
I am listening to Kevin Kern's Through The Arbor and Pastel Reflections from Hooi's blog. I recommend that you pay a weekly visit, at least to his blog to get jabs of different moods and styles of music using his music playing program. He will exhibit out-of-your-mind songs from time to time, surreal. This is a great way of enjoying music. Get different tastes from different people by sharing it through the net.

So, I will ramble on on the this title Inspiration. "Music. The best form of art, language, hobby that I have discovered in this word", quoted from Hooi. I would say music induces orgasm too. Especially sound barrier breaking guitar juicy solo. It's truly amazing how music evolves from 10000 BC to this very 2008 AD from Classical to Metal. Haah, let me write a little bit about that. You have Neo Classical if combine them huh, a really good one. In short, these two styles are still music. I don't care what the Mother Earth you want to brand Rock and Metal as noise. I think some modern mainstream pop songs are so much noisier than certain rock songs. But I do still respect you people who kinda put up with the Linkin Park "noise" I blasted through the speakers everyday a few years ago particularly, my family members who actually commended on some of the songs. See? Good music listeners have their say. No, not really good music but I mean music listeners who are good. In my opinion, noisy music is music which put all the technological synthesized from the studio digital audio mixing. There you have, modern mixing like the one you always hear in radio, salute to Limp Bizkit for critisizing radios. Like global crisis, combine acid rain and global warming. Yes, just like that, music, maybe, running out of notes or just plain dumb radio airing senseless music. Ok, I try not to criticise music too much, come on we music lovers should appreciate music right?

Well, yeah. Let us revel in the celebration for music evolution. Open up your mind, try not be over-sensitive and keep an ear on changes. I am sorry for the lala style, I just can't stand the overwhelming clonings of it. But never mind, we're all humans. Take for example, also thanks to Hooi who showed me this song, In My Life. It's a Beatles cover by Ozzy Osbourne. Hell yeah. A dark metal rockstar reproducing a timeless classic. Respect. I would love to see Mozart reincarnate playing Megadeth songs. No, not John Sebastian Bach with the song (Love Is) A Bitchslap [feat. Axl Rose] which I downloaded from Adelyn thinking that it's a Baroque piece. He's just the namesake hard rocker. SHARING MUSIC IS GOOD[thanks to Hooi, Ye-Wheen and Ade for sharing music. They are my top resources, not forgetting Torrentz] Mainstream or non-mainstream music, still music just segregated by the popular majority demand. I would love also to see Slipknot bombing the Grammy Awards stage. Maybe in the next 40 years we rock lovers will be an example of old men and women who headbang. We can't see much of that yet because music evolution is still under the test of time and soon new generations would show different interests. I ain't like hearing you rockers saying, "oh I am old already... should listen to slow songs". I want to see elders and white-haired wrinkled folks attending rock concerts.

So this is the problem, some music become well-known and some music obscure and unappreciated. Radio actually plays a vital part in spreading music. Playing the same old overrated songs just keep the independent scenes from being heard. But when a radio plays an entire full scale of local music or a a particular style, people don't appreciate and thus ostracizing that frequency. Another thing is the music stores, Tower Records(talking about Penang big stores) is alright, plenty of classic albums. But still, no Japanese Rock albums. In the Jap corner, I saw Rain(korean) and JJ Lin(chinese)... what is happening?

I have a problem now, stress of catching up with good music. Timeless, classical, modern or japanese... I am digging out old songs and at the same time coping with trying out new releases. Like Hooi said, will we have enough time to enjoy good music before the grave is dug for us? Yeah, so I am appreciating music, maybe in a different manner.

Music is a source of inspiration, obviously but maybe not to people who actually don't bother about music at all which I do believe they exist but come on, even the friend beside you who is yapping sounds like rapping and someone frying egg sounds like cymbals and keyboards . Music influences and leaves a pothole so you trip and fall only to aspire to wake up and reach for higher heights. And, music enjoying just gets better for me now. I don't know if it's because my itchy hands playing with the speaker equalizer boosting usually unheard melodies or did my brother change the sound card? Same old computer speakers which are almost 10 years old.

Spoiler to those who haven't watch the movie, Ironman. This movie is good or to say great is still an understatement, let's just put it as a commendable tour de force. Wait, not only the actions and story. The music. I am truly happy to watch a movie which plays rock songs, haha. The movie opens with Back In Black by AC/DC and ends with Ironman by Black Sabbath which are the songs I can recognize. Yes, there's a few song really good rock songs played through out the movie especially the one when Tony gets ready with the suit being fixed onto him.

Yeah, ya can see that I'm inclined towards classic rock/metal scenes but not-so-fortunately I was born after the 80s' revolutionizing into 90s' time so I am taking every effort(at least by downloading) to suck them into my soul as I still walk this Earth haah. Yes, Hooi I agree radio in the past plays awesome stuffs and whole lotta love for serious musicians who speak through their songs. A handful of new modern songs are good too la dun worry.

Let's put an end, the final. I end by saying, "For Those About To Rock, I salute you" but remember to persevere, for it's also a long way to the top. We rockers and want-to-bes(wannabes sound a bit offensive to me) are soldiers of the wasteland striving to be heard but you know what, I beg please don't go over-airing and over-publicizing good music in the radio. See what happened to Britney Spears. She used to inspire me. Christina Aguilera survived huh and hmm...what is happening to Hilary Duff. Nevertheless, I welcome you to listen to this, Rage Against The Machine - Renegades Of Funk, a cover song originally performed by Afrika Bambaataa & The Soul Sonic Force. Go get the lyrics to inspire you.

[Inspirations bled: Led Zeppelin - Ramble On, Dir En Grey - The Final, AC/CD - For Those About To Rock(We Salute You), AC/DC - It's A Long Way To The Top, Dragonforce - Soldiers Of The Wasteland, Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta love]
+
[Inspirations for this post: Bo Bice, Maroon 5, Galneryus, Ozzy Osbourne, Kevin Kern, Rage Against The Machine, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Marilyn Manson, Fort Minor, Daughtry, Disturbed, Apocalyptica, Moby, Neil Young, Lost Prophets, Slipknot, Steve Vai, Stratovarius, Slayer, Dave Mustaine, Nightwish, Ville Valo, Matt Sorum, Steve Tyler, some local Malaysian bands ringing in my head, Kelvyn Yeang, Iron Maiden, Slash, CM Jon, Ye-Wheen and last but not least Kang Chin Hooi]
"If you are 555 then I'm 666" ~Corey Taylor, Slipknot

2 comments:

Kowaru said...

in this future, us rockers will be the one listening to "old rock and noisy music" whilst our grandkids urge us to listen to pop. DUH

JaredT said...

i want my kids to be rockers la... i duwan them growing up dancing to Paris Hilton while their fathers headbang to bleed to haemorrhage to death. i will play pinch-harmonics when they need a lullaby to sleep