Friday 29 October 2010

95. Snakes In The Rough

Personal/Ideals
Welcome again.

It seems that filefactory does not have music widget anymore so kinda if you wana listen to that song you can download it by clicking. mmm it could be illegal already to put other songs for download. like free. bad

I would like to present to you my latest endeavour in improvising. It's not a complete and well prepared recording. It's an improvised recording of an improvisation.

The gears and materials used:
1. Sony Ericsson W580 - sound recorder
2. Squier Telecaster
3. Marshall MG10CD
4. USB cable
5. MIKSOFT Mobile AMR Converter
6. Guitarpro 5.2
7. Hoobastank - The Reason ver2 (from Ultimate Guitar website)
8. yeah my laptop and windows XP @#$%^

Just for the fun of details. Use any guitar any amp anything. Keep the ruggedness.

So yeah, I like these few notes which you play together and they sound like snake charm. And they can be used to improvise. And so I decided to randomly record what I can do with these few notes with a drums backing track, an I recently started doing with. It's fun.

1. I use Hoobastank - The Reason guitarpro drums track as my backing. Set to 50% tempo

2. I put my amp in gain. Cos i want the gain feeling in my guitar sound. yer know like rock solo

If you already feel bored, go to http://www.ultimate-guitar.tv/guitar_lessons/guitar_world_paul_gilbert_presents_shred_alert.html where you can learn snake-charming tunes. It's a different style of snake-charming though and presented in a different key.

Hooi has listened and tested out my notes and he identified it as part of the Gmin scale. Yes, indeed I use G as my primary key, the root which the improvisation is based on.

So, just move on to my filefactory and play my mini demo.

Things I would like to point out; Of course I will never keep silent on my own work. Ok cool 7mins long with slow drum beats it's rather sleep-charming actually. In fact, I didn't actually base my improvisation on snake-charming melody along the track. I altered naturally and intrinsically when I chose to base it in the key of G. Somewhat gypsy-ish-deserty-mystery sound.

Lack of dynamics: I could have do more tremolos, bending and sliding, legato or any other forms. I was concentrating on the beat so I ended up staying static on individual notes. And also thinking ahead of the notes and their positions to play. Because I didn't learn up the scale and the positions, otherwise it would have been easier and maybe juicier...

Lack of rhythm: Not so bad rhythm because it's me and the preset drums track. It's lack of the rhythmic articulation of my playing. Messy and not structured. I will improve on this. Also, because I was concentrating on the fretboard.

Sloppy: Obviously yes. Choppingly no. They could be heard as mistakes clearly mishandling the strings. Or just mere improvised dynamics. Chop. Scrape. Sloppy flick. Dirty notes. Works both ways. Just feel differently.

Other than that you give your comments I hope can work it out in my subsequent playing.

The final eighth of the song which you can spot some smells-like-shredding but fail-type is just some getting high and adventurous try-out on shredding tune. It's basically and usually for me to just play 3 notes per string (usually 2 strings) fast either chromatically or just randomly or any notes I happen to spot deem to be the notes in the scale.

"if you get the note wrong, get the next note right" haha this is easily true. Or rather, get your feel right.

Thanks anyways for any attention spilled here.

No comments: